Masterclass in Torso Sculpture
with Valentina Zlatarova
December 23 - 24, 2022
In this two day exclusive workshop with professional sculptor Valentina Zlatarova, who is excited to share her passion for art and her professional guidance with you. You will learn how to sculpt a small torso based on photographs, ending up with a fired ceramic torso to take home. It is a great introduction to sculpting from the figure and also prepping small pieces for firing.
*Finished items can be collected approximately 2-3 weeks after the completed workshop at the studio.
The schedule is split into two parts (in two days), by working on modeling the torso on the first part, hollowing and re-assembly of the pieces on the second part. During this workshop you will learn:
- How to to work around an armature
- What does drawing mean in sculptural terms
- Important anatomical landmarks in order to build an accurate figure
- Self- expression and composition
- Hollowing and re-assembly of the sculptures
Open to all levels of experience
Conducted in english
*Tuition includes: general studio materials, firing services for your finished piece to take home.
Workshop Schedule - 2 Day Torso Sculpture Workshop
Full day: 0900-1500
- Introduction: a 20 min presentation on torso with images throughout art history
- Getting familiar with the materials, armature, clay tools
- Setting up group as well as individual goals
- Beginning sculpting with clay based on the photo references that participants brought with them and some basic anatomy
- Drawing in sculptural terms (no previous experience in drawing necessary)
- Learning how to make meaningful observations
- Valentina will be working individually with each participant throughout the day so that everyone feels comfortable working within their own speed and abilities
- Start drying pieces in preparation for hollowing
• Refining work from day 1, introducing more details
• Talking about transitions and composition
• Cutting, hollowing and reassembling work
• Finishing touches
• Admiring the results!